PCN member in Australia, Westlink Logistics are pleased to report a current international multimodal (road, ocean and cranage) project for one of the biggest mining companies in the world.
As part of their operations, Westlink’s client ordered 562 ore cars to carry their iron ore from pit to port via railway in one of the heaviest rail haul operations in the world. Westlink was engaged to provide an end-to-end logistics solution to take the cars from Dalian Port in China to the rail yard at the client’s site in the Pilbara region of Western Australia, which is a remote and harsh environment with very limited infrastructure to support logistics. The first shipment of 120 ore cars has been delivered with 4 consecutive shipments to follow (with the second already underway) until the end of the 1st quarter of 2016.
Previous to this order, Westlink had already delivered around 3,000 ore cars for the same client to meet the production targets of their rapid expansion program. As with the previous shipment, Westlink is responsible for the end to end logistics solutions with quarantine and preload inspections at Dalian Port in China, shipping of the ore cars to Australia, the safe discharge in Pilbara, transport to site, tracking, and commissioning activities at the site.
Westlink’s full scope of work includes:
- Ship vetting and acceptance procedure to AMSA and Australian Quarantine requirements
- Stowing and lashing plans
- At the port of loading – ore car quality assurance checks, cargo quarantine and cargo readiness inspections
- Westlink operations team provided supervision and coordination from China to Australia
- Ocean transit management and reporting
- Coordination of discharge operations at Port Hedland in Western Australia
- Road Haulage to the rail site operations site in Pilbara
- Complete rail site management including delivery onto track, crane operations, ore car commissioning and final quality inspections so the ore cars are ready for immediate operations
Throughout all stages of the international end-to-end delivery, experienced members from the Westlink operations team were on hand to supervise and coordinate all logistics operations, arrange packaging for transportation and ensure cargo standards met with the strict Australian quarantine requirements. The Westlink operations team also undertook full control and management of the delivery site (including rail network control) in compliance with the client’s safety, environment and rail standards.
Please click here to view full article on official website.