PCN members, Wilhelmsen Ships Service and Convoy Logistics Providers have worked together to handle a critical RORO shipment from Canada to Oman as outlined below.
SCOPE OF WORK
- Movement of RORO unit from the door in Calgary (Canada) to the port of loading (Freeport, TX), ocean freight to Sohar Port in Oman and delivery to the consignee’s door in Muscat.
- Movement of accessories from the door in Edmonton (Canada) to the port of loading (Montreal, QC), ocean freight to Sohar Port in Oman and delivery to the consignee’s door in Muscat.
WHY WAS THE SHIPMENT CRITICAL?
- The order was placed at the last minute so everything had to be arranged on an ad-hoc basis.
- The cargo had to be delivered within a certain timeframe in order to ensure that the project would not suffer from any delays.
- A specific solution had to be designed involving all parties in a short time period.
CHALLENGES FACED & SOLUTIONS PROVIDED
The cargo posed considerable challenges including arranging the packing, mobilising using suitable trailers from the supplier’s locations to the ports of loading, completing required export documentation before the vessel cut off, sea freight to Sohar Port, import handling & customs clearance, registration of the unit in Oman and delivery to the final destination. Additionally, we had to overcome another challenge when the accessories shipment was delayed and the RORO unit waited at the consignee’s yard to fix the accessories before delivery to the project site. Extensive follow up and coordination with the carrier’s different offices was required to ensure that the accessories shipment departed the transhipment ports on time and arrived on schedule to Sohar.
“We are very pleased to confirm that everything worked accordingly to plan and we are looking forward to subsequent cargo moves together!”
Please click here to view the full article on our official website.